Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Peaks and Valleys 6-22-11

Don't ask me why, but it seems I've been feeling a heck of a lot better lately! Last weekend my little brother Steven and I were able to get in a few good workouts together and everything seemed to fall into place. Perhaps one of the best runs in recent memory went down on Saturday evening, one of those runs that will be on your mind for years to come! Steven and I had finally decided to run at about 9 pm, at first we said it would just be an easy run, but that all changed the minute one of us started "half wheeling" the other. By the time I knew it we were in a dead on sprint down Avenida De Mesilla. The sprint continued for roughly two minutes. Luckily one us finally let off the gas a bit and the pace turned a tad more manageable. It wasn't long, however, until we were at it again...this time I figured I would sucker him into a longer session, say 4 minutes.. I figured that I was in a little better shape and would be able to hold the pace longer, but no way could I keep up with him in a dead on sprint (Steven was a sprinter and long jumper before triathlons). By the half way point of our run we had done 3 pick ups which ended in an all out sprint. I don't think either one of really spoke, we were just ready to spring at a moments notice. This kept on for the remainder of the run until the last mile or so when we decided to finally call a truce and cool down. I haven't run that fast in years..or ever?? Fun times with the little bro! The next morning Steven was anxious to get his new TTX on the pavement so we went for a ride through some familiar territory. Once again by the time we were in the pecan fields, we were hitting each other with 30mph bursts. It was nice to know I still had the power to do those workouts...for a while there little thoughts of self doubt were beginning to creep in..not a good thing when I am contemplating my most memorable season. True, this Tri season has not really gotten off to the start I had hoped for, but there are good signs and good times on the horizon thanks to my family, friends, and sponsors. I've been at this long enough to know there are peaks and valleys I guess all you need sometimes is a little push from someone you believe in, someone you whole heatedly put all your trust in, someone who you know will never hurt you...intentionally, unlike the puking feeling after a workout that went a little array:) and lastly someone you know will always have your back no matter what! Who knows where the journey will take you and honestly who cares as long as you are surrounded with the right people, I guarantee the end point will be filled with jokes, smiles, beers, and love...or wine if you are with the Medina's.

For those of you that are wondering about the streak, well it lives on! Yesterday I ran at around 1 pm around A Mountain...(an all time favorite place of mine). It was around 98*, my run felt great, and I knew the 78* water temp at NMSU pool would feel even better when I got there! Yesterday made 182 straight days! Some workouts have been better then others that's true, but just like the peaks and valleys, we have to go through one to appreciate the other...

Peace Out and enjoy the little pics below, I figured you might be tired of the same old same old.....(background on the pics...we did a little get fit program at school where the kids raced against each other, this was the difference between 1st and 2nd place)...WE HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!!

VALLEY

PEAK

1 comment:

  1. Good post, bro. That run was pretty fun but I know anyone who knows you and me, knows you're the "half stepper". You're the one person I enjoy working out with the most bro!

    ReplyDelete