Thursday, April 7, 2011

4-7-11 Man of many hats...

My consecutive days working out streak was in serious jeopardy of coming to an end not too many hours ago. I came home and really had a tough decision...drink a few beers ie. drown some bad memories or hop on the trainer for a few hours.. then have some numbing agents. Today I sat in the wrongful death settlement case for my former student, friend, and one time training partner; JR. The day left me absolutely drained. JR's mom asked me to be a part of the process and I couldn't let her down. I am okay with the fact that the kids will have a fund set up and when they turn 21 they will be able to utilize it. I was sick to my stomach the way it all played out as if we were bartering for a new car or house or something of that nature. My jobs have brought me face to face with more realities then most people will ever get the chance to see/experience and for that I am both pleased and a little broken. Some might say ignorance is bliss, but that shits not for me. I want to LIVE. I want to experience all the heart aches and joys associated with a life filled...no..with a life overflowing. A life where I always go the extra mile, always take the time for that kid in the corner, and always make the time for someone when they need me. If I have learned anything from the people I call my friends I have learned that! I know, without a doubt, if I needed someone and I called on them, it wouldn't take long for them to reach me. Just knowing that has gotten me through some rough patches, so for that.. Thanks! It also makes me feel a little better that I know there were times when I would get phone calls or visits and hopefully problems were eased. For some, that time has passed, but for others... I'm still here and I'm still Mike:) (ie. come have a beer). Today there was nothing easy about watching (on video) the last few moments of a life cut short. Anger..trying my best to leave that bad dude in the past, Hurt..of course, Acceptance and move forward.. closer now then ever before. I guess I have this "thing" where I usually see the better part of people and tend to overlook the other stuff that may confuse the mass opinion. Case in point: when I saw the video I didn't see some big gang banger thug that was a total menace to society. Instead I saw a scared person that was running out of options and for that I cant even begin to explain the grief I felt for him. The fact of the matter is that if given the opportunity to change my personality, there is no way I would ever do things differently. I have very few regrets and saying JR was a big part of my life will never be one of them.

Many hats right? Tomorrow i get to wear my chef hat and teach the kids I currently work with how to make sushi rolls from scratch. We were given this classroom which used to be the old home economics room and we absolutely love it! We try to take full advantage of it every chance we get. Tomorrow we will not disappoint! The kids are going to look so cute in their aprons cooking rice, making chile rellenos, and ultimately helping roll with the bamboo rollers... I can't wait! I guess it would have been easy for me to mope around a little tomorrow, but the kids really need me to be the Mike they laugh with, learn with, and have fun with so for them (and me) I will!

For those of you wondering the streak still lives...107 days and counting. Tonight was a little different, I kinda had to workout, not to get in better shape, but to let my mind rest for a little while.. Take care and Thanks again for those of you who have made and still make a difference....

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I tend to see the good in people as well & I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Keep it up Mike!

    ReplyDelete