Sunday, April 3, 2011

4-03-11 Milestones and Friendships

Wow it's been a little while since I have had enough time to sit and write. Track season started this past week at Vista and it's been a lot of fun so far. We will practice this week then have our first meet on Saturday, practice 4 more days next week, then on Friday night it's the city championship meet. That's it only a three week season. I know it's not really enough to get the kids in good running shape, but it's long enough to learn names, teach them how fun track can be ie.running through the sprinklers, teach a little about high jump and long jump, listen to the kids laugh at each other as they try the events, and basically end their middle school years in a fun athletic way. My goal for coaching this season was to instill  a joy for running, but I am not sure I have met my goal with 100% accuracy. There is one girl in particular who would not return my high five after the first workout and still will not shake my hand. She did cry a little and I told her she is more then welcome to walk, but instead she turned her head the opposite direction and jogged off....:).... Throwers??

Last Thursday morning I reached a milestone in my consecutive days of training. Day 100! I totally didn't want this day to be like all the others and I wasn't quite sure what to do, so I called my bro Danny, who just happens to be the best runner I know. I asked him if he wouldn't mind meeting me at the pool at 6 the next morning for a run. He said he had a long run scheduled later in the day, but didn't want to miss the chance to run together..especially since I can count the number of times on one finger that I have run at 6 am in the last 10 years! He knew it must be a special occasion and said cool. We met, ran up toward A Mountain (pretty good pace), watched the sun come up (on the way down), then headed to Milagro's for my favorite breakfast bagel in the whole world! It was a blast of a day so thanks my BROTHER!

The man, the myth, the legend...Danois Montoya!!
(I hope that middle finger was not meant for me)

I got a little ahead of myself, but I really wanted to make my point about me actually doing a pre-sun workout with a toatally cool dude, so let me back up just a bit. The day prior (Wed.) I made it to the heater ride with the local cycling team, Zia Velo. The heater ride is an all out free for all which winds through the flat valley, out to San Miguel, La Mesa, then through the pecan orchard at a red line pace to the bridge over the Rio Grande. I know it's gonna be one hell of a work out whenever I make to that ride and last Wednesday did NOT disappoint! There were a few early breaks,  I got a little boxed in and couldn't really get out early, but when the moment came I went and it was on! Fun times when you are riding hard enough to actually feel your heart beating in your ears and your legs pumping like pistons with no intentions of slowing down! It is moments exactly like this when everything in this crazy ass world makes complete and total sense, when the pain becomes trance like and hurt is replaced with a feeling of euphoria, and a level of calmness overtakes every other emotion....aaahhhh...it's that good! Needless to say it was an awesome ride. As we all regrouped after the bridge for the ride back to Mesilla, I couldn't help but overhear some of the conversation. It went something like...I have been tired from all the training as of late and I rode hard three days in a row. As I listened quietly I couldn't help but think to myself...Good! See, it's good to be tired and over trained this early in the season, that just means they are setting themselves up for a really fast year of bike racing. Throw in a little rest and recovery and those dudes are going to be rockets and that's what I need to make me faster;) Of course I didn't divulge the fact that I too have been training hard..for 100 consecutive days and had just run home from Vista (10 miles) immediately prior to jumping on my bike for the heater ride:) :) Not saying this to rub it in it's just I know I don't have too many competitive years left in the tank, so this one will be special. I am going to push myself harder, enjoy the efforts more, and hopefully see the results further down the road, much the same as my "roadie" friends.

Up early yet again
                                
follow the leader:)
                                               
Last climb of a tough day!
                                 
Christian and I at Pinos Altos



Lets leapfrog to Saturday, I got an invitation from an old friend, Christian Kruger, to drive up to Silver City and do the final stage of the tour. The stage known as the Gila Monster....Ouch, what a day full of climbing with strong riders. I started out before the sun came up (once again), got to Silver, met the cyclists I would be riding with, picked out the guy with a former Tour of The Gila Leaders Jersey and stuck to him all day. It was another tough day in the saddle to say the least, but I am totally happy I did this because I got to see first hand what I am getting myself into....next weekend I am headed back to do it again in reverse to simulate day 1. The descends are a bit nerve racking, 50 miles an hour (at times) with hair pin turns with aspens and drop offs at every corner...there is no drug in the world that will make you feel more ALIVE then that!

Finally, Saturday night with The Medinas and quite possibly the best way to end a hard day in the sun and me realizing just how lucky I am to have some of the best friends a person could ever ask for. I was surprised with a bottle of wine which read "100 days and counting" (or something like that) it got a little hazy;). I didn't even know they kept up with my blog:) We made home made sushi rolls (the chile relleno ones were my favorite), drank, laughed, drank, hot tubed, had desert which resembled giant twinkies, and made plans for the next half marathon in Colorado! 








This season, like never before, I am feeling really ready for a kick ass year. The training has been primo as of late, the weekly hours are piling up, my friends keep me extremely balanced, and the recovery is not too bad...for an old dude. Take care and to all my friends, new, long standing. beer drinking, training, young and old....
MUCHAS GRACIAS con todo mi corazon.

1 comment: