Friday, December 31, 2010

Last day of 2010...

Morning workout!! Not this morning because it's like 30 degrees out, but yesterday with my two bros Steven and Danny! I had forgotten how much damn fun it was to mountain bike in the DA's. It was just like old times and had been at least 5 years in the making, both for the morning workout and the three of us riding together again. Sure it's ok training alone, but absolutely nothing beats riding with your two best buddies. It was very windy yesterday and there was even talk of skipping out on the ride, but we decided to ride for a few miles and if it got too nasty we would turn around and go back. After we got on that singletrack, there was no turning back no matter what the weather was throwing at us. What a way to end 2010! On the endurance level maybe it didn't stack up on some of the other crazy things we have done around the new year, but the fun factor was off the charts and I guarantee we will be laughing about yesterday for years to come. In years past I can remember doing 100 x 100 meter swim repeats on 1:45 plus the extra in years past 00, for example, in 2011 it would require 111 x 100 meters that would be nearly 7 miles of swimming!! I remember talking my almost non swimmer buddy Tony into going to the UTEP pool in 2001 or '02 for that very same workout (he couldn't feel his arms afterwards). The last time I did this was 2005. A mountain bike/run workout we did in 2003 consisted of us riding out from NMSU to Baylor canyon, stashing the bikes in the bushes, putting on running shoes, running to the top of Baylor Pass, back down to the stashed bikes, and back to the pool. The one thing I remember most about that trip was the fact that Jr. was living with us at the time so I made him do the workout as well (RIP). Dang, the years really fly by and yesterday has made me reflect and appreciate all the true friends I have had the pleasure of sharing my personal pleasures with, yes, TRAINING... The times on the roads, trails, or in the pool mean the world to me and are all part of this wonderful journey.

Training in general has been progressing slowly, but it is progressing. I am currently putting together a game plan for the season as far as races are concerned. My training plan is to do what has worked best for me. I was extactic with the way I raced the sprint course last season, but the international and long course left me with a sour taste in my mouth and that is what I am counting on to fuel my training through the winter months.

Be safe tonight and in 2011...

1 comment:

  1. It was fun big bro, just like old times. I do what you do so keep training and having fun!

    ReplyDelete