Wednesday, January 5, 2011

1-05-11 New City Pool

First off this picture was taken by my daughter as we were traveling and it sums up the way I feel today. I sure hope you feel it too!

Yesterday I needed to swim and the NMSU pool, where I usually swim, was not an option because I needed my after work nap. For as long as I can remember I have taken an afternoon nap, I love them and often times sleep better at 4 pm then I do at night. I decided to check out the new city swim center, it was either that or another session with the cords simulated swim. The facility is brand new and has slides for the kids, a lazy river, a therapy pool (90*), and a 2 lane lap pool. Yes, 2 lanes! In a city the size of Las Cruces they build a facility with only 2 lanes available for fitness.  Needless to say I had the pool to myself for the majority of my workout. I took total advantage of this and did an hour long swim followed by 20 minutes of running laps as well. The pool was 4 feet deep throughout, so it made for perfect water running. It was the first time I have tried this and I was surprised with the workout (hard). The slight drawback to the pool was that the lazy river spills into the lap lanes via a missing section of wall between the two. This created a slight current which made one length a little faster then the return trip. I confirmed this when I did backstroke, it would take me 13 strokes to get down and 14 to get back. This probably wouldn't be a pool I would choose to do anything timed in, but at this point of the season nice long swims are what I am after. The next humongous hurdle to get over for me is still an early morning workout (6am). I will be so ecstatic when that happens. Today the kids are come back to class and I can't wait to see all the little happy faces. Take care...

No comments:

Post a Comment