Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1-25 What's inside?

Last night as I was swimming at 8:45pm, with the entire pool to myself, I had time to think about why the heck I was there and not home by the fire? It would have been easy to blow off the swim workout, I wasn't meeting anybody to train with, it wasn't a sunny afternoon in the outdoor pool, nor was there anyone else even in the water for the last 30 min of my swim. Perfect, I immediately thought. These are the times when I can completely concentrate on technique and speed. I picked a workout from my swimmers diary entitled Distance Swim... 5500 yards later it was over, I was in the comfort of the hot shower and already thinking about a glass (or two) of wine, Mar, and the fire. I won't lie I really wanted to cut the workout short, go home, kiss the kids goodnight, and finish the workout tomorrow...yeah right like that would have happened (the finish tomorrow part). My point is, if I didn't have that internal drive or the ability to push myself when nobody is around, this blog would have read something entirely different then year 20 of an incredible triathlon journey. It was safe to say that last night along with many other workouts getting started is the hardest part. It's not the miles, time of day (or night), not the weather, but the need to represent that gets my ass off the couch and out the door. Being a sponsored athlete is always on the back of my mind. I know how hard sponsorships are to come by...especially in my 40's! This season will be special, it has no choice but to be. I am hitting firsts, working out a little differently, and generally lining it all up so all the pieces fall into place come race day. Thanks to my sponsor, www.trisports.com for doing their part in priming and fueling my workouts for the past three seasons....this one will be spacial, I can feel it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment